Hilarious Elf On The Shelf Mishap Leads To Dad Baking His Kids' Elves

Now that Christmas is just around the corner, many parents are already coming up with creative ways to display their Elf on the Shelf. I bet it must be hard to think of imaginative ways to surprise the kids every year, huh?

Well, as long as you don't do what these two parents accidentally did to their elves, you'll be alright. Wait until you hear this story, ha, ha!

Parents Chelsea and Matt Hightower are always very diligent about keeping up the tradition of Elf on the Shelf.

Unsplash | Louise Smith

Each year they come up with fun ways to surprise the kids, and they always try to outdo themselves.

It all started off right when mom put the elves in the fridge.

She made it seem like they were held hostage by the milk that has gone bad, ha, ha! I bet their kids really liked that one. Am I right?

Then, the hubby was in charge of the elves the very next day.

So he had the brilliant idea to take them out of the fridge to let them warm up in the oven. He made them all cozy in there.

Aww, that's so cute.

I love how he arranged them and planned the whole scene out, hee-hee! Fast forward to the day after, and Matt completely forgot the elves were still in the oven when he proceeded to make lunch for himself and the kids.

Being a well-prepared and handy husband, he turned the oven on to pre-heat it.

Unsplash | JOSBRA design

And as you can guess, that's where the trouble started. Soon enough, one of the older kids realized what was happening and called the dad over.

By then, of course, it was already too late.

The poor elves got burned to a crisp. Oh my goodness! Now, the embarrassed dad had to call his wife and fess up. Luckily she was already getting an early start on her Christmas shopping.

So she was able to pick up new elves.

These clever parents were even able to convince their younger kids that the elves were okay after going to the "Elfspital" and getting some much-needed mending. That was a smart move on their part, eh?

Chelsea thought the whole incident was so funny she posted about it on Facebook.

And people couldn't help but laugh about it. She humorously warned other parents not to make the same mistake and "BAKE COOKIES NOT ELVES!" LOL! You hear that, guys!

I hope this cute story made you laugh.

It made me wonder whether other people ever made a mistake like this before and were willing to share it. So let me ask you: has your Elf on the Shelf idea ever gone awry? I'd love to hear about it. Don't be shy. We won't judge you, I promise.