Instagram | @tillywhitfeld

Influencer Warns Others After Viral Freckle Hack Causes Scarring, Vision Loss

One influencer has issued a very serious warning to their fans about the dangers of trying viral beauty hacks at home.

Attempting to replicate a recent viral beauty trend from TikTok left the influencer with serious facial scarring and effected vision, and she now hopes to warn people off trying beauty trends at home without supervision.

TikTok beauty trends are seeing a meteoric rise of late.

As more and more beauty trends emerge across TikTok, influencer Tilly Whitfeld decided to try and emulate one trend that would allow her to have freckles across her face.

Whitfield, who has recently appeared on Australia's Big Brother reality show, attempted to replicate a trend which involved using a sewing needle to prick her skin with ink.

The sewing needle and ink trick was supposed to give her freckles that would last for around six months.

However, as opposed to freckles she was left with facial scarring and temporary blindness following the procedure, which saw her end up in hospital.

Ms Whitfeld explains the situation.

On her Instagram page explaining her ordeal, Ms Whitfield wrote:

"For those asking why I have my blue clay face mask on continuously through out [Big Brother] [...] This is the result of attempting to remove scarring I inflicted on myself trying to replicate an at home beauty procedure I saw on a tik tok video 2 months before big brother."

Ms Whitfeld reportedly spent around $12,000 attempting to rectify the damage she had caused herself.

"Please please don't try any 'DIY' or 'at home' beauty procedures I ended up in hospital with temporary loss of vision in my eye due to swelling and was very sick from the infection, not to mention my face was somewhat unrecognisable. Leave it to the professionals," she went on to warn her 77,000 followers.

One of the main problems, as it turned out, was the type of ink that Ms Whitfield had used.

The TikTok video that she had watched had not specified which ink she should use (the correct answer being 'no ink whatsover' of course) and so she had purchased some brown ink on eBay.

However, the ink that she used apparently contained high amounts of lead, according to the Manchester Evening News.

"It didn't hurt at all [at first], so I didn't think I should stop," she also told the outlet.

So what exactly did the ink do to her skin?

In an update to her Instagram post, Ms Whitfeld writes, "Edit: this is deep below surface level scaring and dark pigmentation whilst I’m fortunate enough to not have keloid scaring and the surface of my skin is smooth, the pigmentation is very dark and obvious."

Many people have posted kind comments on Tilly's Instagram.

mywrinklesaremystripes commented on Ms Whitfeld's post, "YOU ARE AN AMAZING HUMAN TILLS, I ADORE YOU FOR HAVING THE COURAGE AND THE LOVE TO SHARE THIS. Bravo Darling πŸ’—πŸ’žπŸ’—"

Another comment from sb_activewear said, "So brave sharing complete honesty with the world!"

And thesun.willrise comments, "Thankyou for letting us know about this kind of stuff. Looks so painful, I hope you’re healing well πŸ’›"

Hopefully this warning will put off any other individuals from attempting this procedure.

Not only did it cost Ms Whitfield a substantial amount of money to try to repair the damage caused by this incident, but it is also incredibly lucky that she did not cause herself more serious damage to her health. With any luck, this will also be the last time that anyone makes such a mistake.

h/t: Manchester Evening News

Filed Under: