Quantcast
WMUR / Unsplash

Teen Dies From Tapeworms In His Brain After Eating Undercooked Pork

Emily Reily 3 Apr 2019

A teen from India has died after ingesting tapeworm larvae from eating undercooked pork.

Person Came In With Seizures, Pain

Unsplash | Lucas Vasques

The New England Journal of Medicine published a case study recently about an 18-year-old man who was suffering from seizures and confusion.

Load Comments

He Also Had Swelling Over One Eye

Giphy

Doctors at ESIC Medical College and Hospital in Faridabad said the man came into the emergency room with pain in his testis and right groin, and had swelling over his right eye. He was also suffering from tonic-clonic seizures.

Load Comments

Cysts Found In His Brain and Testis

WMUR / Unsplash

Doctors then performed an MRI and found cysts in his brain. The man was diagnosed with neurocysticercosis, which is a parasitic infection of the brain. It can be contracted when a person ingests eggs from a pork tapeworm.

Load Comments

The Condition Was Fatal

Flickr | netbolezniamru

Doctors first tried anti-epileptic drugs and dexamethasone, an anti-inflammatory medication. They had decided not to treat him with antiparasitic medications But two weeks later, the boy died.

Load Comments

Disease Can Sometimes Be Fatal

Wikimedia | https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cysticercosis_by_Taenia_solium_PHIL_3387_lores.jpg

According to WMUR, neurocysticercosis cannot spread from person to person. LiveScience writes that sometimes the cysts can block pathways in the brain, a dangerous complication.

"Neurocysticercosis is an important problem in the United States, and the right diagnosis and treatment are critical," said Dr. A. Clinton White, a professor of infectious diseases at University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston.

"Neurocysticercosis is a serious problem, but with optimal diagnosis and treatment, patients can be managed effectively," White said.

Load Comments
Next Article