14 Elementary School Kids Hospitalized After Accidentally Eating Marijuana Gummies

Chris Mottram 8 Feb 2019

Eating pot gummies is perfectly fine for parents who qualify for medical marijuana, but not so much for young kids.

Kids Ate Pot Gummies

TODAY Show

Children between the ages of 5 and 9 at an elementary school in Cleveland, Ohio unknowingly ate marijuana gummies, and it didn't end well. Fourteen kids ingested them, and nine ended up going to the hospital.

Load Comments

Strange Wrapper

The discovery was made by a school worker after kids complained of feeling sick during lunch. She noticed they had eaten something from a strange looking wrapper.

Load Comments

Mother Arrested

Giphy

The gummies were handed out by a five-year-old boy who said he got them from home. The boy's mother was later arrested for child endangerment.

Load Comments

Not Acting Right

TODAY Show

A mother of one of the girls who ate the gummies said her daughter complained of her throat hurting and she was clearly not acting like herself.

Load Comments

School's Statement

TODAY Show

In a statement, the school district said:

Although we have not yet received a report on the suspicious candy, the principal used the opportunity to remind parents and caregivers of the importance of keeping medicines and other items that may be harmful to children locked up to ensure the safety of all students.

Load Comments

Medical Marijuana

Giphy

Several forms of medical marijuana are legal in Ohio, although recreational marijuana remains against the law. So it would seem the mother of the boy who brought the gummies had some kind of medical qualification.

Load Comments

Danger to Kids

Giphy | Mobius

The Children's Hospital of Colorado says that edibles pose the biggest threat to children:

"The most common overdose incidents in children occur when the drug has been combined with food in an 'edible' form of marijuana. This is because marijuana ingested in this manner can have a stronger and prolonged effect, especially in children under the age of 12."

Load Comments

What to Do

Giphy | Puffin Graphic Design

If your child does consume marijuana, health professionals urge parents to seek medical help immediately if the child loses consciousness or has trouble breathing. If they seem relatively fine, then just keep them in a safe place until the symptoms subside.

Load Comments

Not the First Time

TODAY Show

In Florida last year, five middle school students ended up in the hospital after eating THC-laced candy. There was a similar incident in 2016 at an Illinois school.

Load Comments

Gummy Bears

Unsplash | Jonathan J. Castellon

A similar incident happened in Florida back in 2016, after a student brought in gummies laced with an unknown drug according to 10 News:

“She ate some gummy bears or something that was supposed to be injected with something. I’m not happy with this at all,” says mother Kellie Boxx. Her daughter is one of four students who had to be rushed to Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital after eating what she thought was just a gummy bear. It turned out to be spiked with drugs.

“She threw up a whole lot,” Boxx says.

Load Comments

Babysitters Arrested For Another Incident

These two babysitters were caught on camera -- filmed by themselves -- letting children smoke weed and then posting it to SnapChat:

Two women are under arrest for allegedly giving marijuana to three small children. Michaela Pearson, 21, and Candice Little, 18, of North Carolina posted video of the act to Snapchat, according to authorities. Cops say they were babysitting the children, ages 18 months, 2 years and 3 years, at the time.

Load Comments

Bottle Confusion

Flickr | angelagarrod

Another mom managed to give her kids PCP after confusing it for a bottle of vanilla extract according to Fox4KC:

The mother of the children told police that she was making breakfast Tuesday morning and used vanilla extract to make french toast. Instead of vanilla, there was PCP in the bottle. The children became sick after they ate the food.

Police say PCP users often put their drugs in vanilla bottles because of the dark color of the glass.

Police say the mother reported that a family member's ex-boyfriend who used to live in the home was a drug user and may have put the PCP in the vanilla bottle.

Load Comments

Targeting Kids?

Hapeville Police Department

This discovery by police in Georgia might lead you to believe that drug manufacturers and dealers are attempting to target kids with some of their product according to USA Today:

Officers on Friday seized suspected cocaine and marijuana plus a cache of cannabis lollipops and pills in the shape of Hello Kitty, Homer Simpson and the Minions from Despicable Me that a kid might mistake for sweet and sour candy, Hapeville Police Department officials posted on Facebook.

Load Comments

Parents Make The Mistake Too

Wikimedia | https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sour-Patch-Kids.jpg

And even parents make some confusing choices when they think they've got some candy. Taking this out of a batch of Halloween candy meant for their kids, two parents were rushed to the hospital in Oregon after eating candies that look like Sour Patch Kids -- but were laced with meth according to The Oregonian:

It's not immediately clear who provided the drug-tainted candy, the sheriff's office said. The family said they went trick or treating with their childcare northwest and south of the 21600 block of Southwest Jay Street, where they live.

The parents ate the candy earlier on Thursday. The candy was later tested by county deputies, who determined it had traces of meth.

Load Comments
Next Article