Dress your dining room up for the holiday season with these festive Santa Hat chair covers! Here's how to make your own:
- Red fabric (amount needed is dependent on your chair size)
- White fabric (amount needed is dependent on your chair size)
- Sewing machine
- White felt (35-40 strips)
- Upholstery thread
- Hot glue gun
1. The first step is to measure your chair. You need to know how wide it is at its widest part and how tall the back is. Without knowing these dimensions, your chair covers probably won't fit!!
The chairs pictured are about 19 inches wide and 18 inches tall. For the Santa Hat look, there will need to be a triangle shape at the top edge. Depending on your chair, you may want to make the triangle about 10 inches tall.
2. Now you have your measurements. Add an extra 1/2 inch on each side except for the bottom for seam allowance. Trace and cut out your measurements on the red fabric twice for two pieces.
3. Place the two pieces together and sew along the edges except for the bottom. You should use a 1/2 seam allowance. You will be flipping the cover right-side out, so it you are using a fabric with a "right side," make sure you place it to the inside.
4. Trim off the 3 points.
6. Sew a straight line across the top of the chair cover, right where the triangle shape starts. This is to keep the chair cover from sliding down.
7. Cut a 2.5 inch wide piece of white felt that is the same "width" as the bottom of the chair cover. Add 1/2 inch for seam allowance.
8. Sew the two ends of the white felt together. Turn it right-side out and slip it around the bottom edge of the cover. It's best if you align the white seam with a red side seam.
9. Sew the two layers together, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
10. Cut long stripes of white felt, about 1/3 inch wide. Cut those strips into 4 inch long pieces. You should make about 45-50 small strips per pom pom.
12. Hot glue gun the pom pom to the tip of the triangle on the seat cover. Hold for a few seconds.
13. Repeat until you have enough chair covers for your set!
14. Place on your chairs and enjoy!