Birthday cakes always mean so much more when you make them yourself. Plus, they taste so much better. There's something about putting in fresh ingredients and a lot of love that just makes the flavors pop out! The birthday girl or boy will surely appreciate it, too! There are some tips and tricks on how to get the perfect birthday cake for that special someone. A lot of them I had no idea even existed. Check out these ten baking hacks for the perfect birthday cake:
1. Take your cake pan full of batter and drop it a foot from the counter before you bake it to get rid of any bubbles (for the cakes that don't need air bubbles).
Don't do this for sponge or angel cakes because they need the bubbles!
tutorial via Saveur
2. Lay slices of bread on cakes when they're cooling to keep them from drying out.
3. Take your cake layers and freeze them wrapped in saran wrap. Take them out the day of and assemble them the day of the party while frozen.
This way it's easier to shape (if you're shaping) and easier to frost!
4. Dye your cakes naturally using fruit purée
5. Wrap your cake pans with the bake even strips or wet towels to make perfectly flat layers.